8/13/11

LET IT FALL, I'LL NEVER MAKE IT IN TIME

"She's waiting for the night to fall, let it fall
I'll never make it in time"
-Beirut, East Harlem

East Harlem is just one of the many beautiful songs I got out of the indie radio station in the trusty music-streaming site Grooveshark. My favorite parts are of course,
  • the instrumental after the above quote is sung; and
  • the instrumental proper.
I have always loved Beirut since Postcards From Italy. If anyone else like indie rock mixed with some World Music with an old school vibe, you'd have to check Beirut out.

According to Wikipedia, the band genre is Balkan folk, which the article says is influenced by Southeastern European music and characterized by complex rhythm. I therefore declare that I love complex rhythm. I have been trying to coin a definition that describes something like a "complication of instruments", or when different instruments are played simultaneously and make a great, euphoric effect. Complex rhythm sounds just about right.

(credits to popmusicrundown.blogspot.com)

Above is the CD cover of the band's debut album, Gulag Orkestar, which included Postcards From Italy. If anything, the picture gives an impression of the kind of music Beirut makes, although there is some sort of crazy distortion going on with that girl's left foot. Maybe it was moving?

No comments:

Post a Comment