8/18/13

DISTRESS SIGNAL


I am not crying all the time anymore
When appropriate I am still the same old firecracker
Who says the strangest, silliest jokes
And pulls off the prettiest dimpled smile
When inside me there is a storm brewing
Inside me, an earthquake
People are running outside of buildings
And some under tables in helpless panic
Inside me, a sinking ship, a plane crash
Sometimes it’s a mother mourning for her unborn child
Other times it’s as simple as a paper cut
You don’t understand; pain is universal
Loss happens everywhere and I assure you
I know loss like the back of my hand
So just because you have not seen me breaking down
Doesn’t mean I didn’t have a rough night
Or that I slept soundly like a baby
Or that I never spent an extra ten minutes
In the bathroom stall an hour ago
Trying to compose myself together
Because everywhere inside me
There is a bomb ticking off somewhere in Hiroshima
Just let me put that smile out there
As it explodes


Note: This is in reply to a friend who thinks I am full of pride and that I won't admit that I have lost just because I act normally everyday post-worst-bus-ride, post-worst-phone-call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment