8/7/11

THE BIRTH OF ART (THE BIRTH OF WORK)

"In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art."

Rumi


A piercing message structured beautifully. How wonderful it is to know that beauty (songs, poems, paintings, books, endless forms of art) is made out of love. Doing things you love for the people you love. Such is the life we all want to live. But the reality of life suggests otherwise. In his book Everything Is Illuminated, Jonathan Safran Foer (my favorite) tells us, through the character Alex Perchov:



"I am doing something I hate for you. This is what it means to be in love."



Poignant, a little foolish, a little truthful. In the book, the line was Alex's excuse to one of his girls when asked why he had to go somewhere far to "toil currency". If you had read the book, you would know that Alex's mother had told him the same thing when he asked her why she had to do endless jobs. Doing things you hate for the people you love. This is what it also means to love, and to be a family. Above anything else, there is an honorable, beautiful reason why we get up early against our will. Thank God for work.



And now..., I am suddenly reminded of the vast amount of time and effort my current work engagement is gonna take this week, and maybe the week after this, and maybe the next. It sounds heavy (it is), so I am going to preoccupy (distract) us with some of my favorite things.





cute Polaroid coasters from this shop





mixtape cushions from Pepper Stitches






hot Tyler Blackburn, who could pass for (forever hot) Ben Barnes' younger brother



And if you have seen the movie Juno and have good ears for music, you would know that the cool Kimya Dawson, 1/2 of the band Moldy Peaches, wrote quite a number for the movie soundtrack. One of my favorite tracks is her song Tire Swing, which you can listen to here. Save the awkward guitar strumming, awkward random lyrics and even more awkward singing (the 3 elements that make up the greatness of Moldy Peaches), I love this line:



"The sound of our voices made us forget everything

that had ever hurt our feelings"


No comments:

Post a Comment